About Me

My photo
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I am a certified esthetician only out of school for two years, but figured it would be a nice idea to start a blog about my experiences with beauty care.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Can a teabag be used as a nail wrap?

There are three different types of nail wraps manicurists use, fiberglass, silk and linen. With acrylic it can be sculpted on the nail with a metal cone and elongated to give you artificial nails. Applied to the nail itself, it can be used to repair brittle, broken or split nails.



The point of this, is to see if teabags can be used as a nail wrap, not to give you longer nails but to strengthen them and repair.
All I needed was a Orly top 2 bottom, color of choice, toothpick, teabag(with no tea inside) and pen
 
 
 
You can clearly see where my nail is broken :( Now I am going to put the teabag wrap on my complete nail bed, I would suggest doing this for brittle and weak nails to make them stronger. But for a crack or a chip like this I would only put a piece to mask only the crack.
 

I took the tea bag and traced the outline of my nail and cut it out. Put a base coat on the nail and gently put the tea bag on over with the toothpick. I left the teabag a a little longer then my nail to show you. Being my first time using teabags I wasn't sure how much base coat to put before, in this picture I didn't put enough and didn't smooth out the air bubbles with the toothpick.


After I used the cuticle nippers to cut away the excess, it is already looking better


The color I used is Essie mademoiselle. A light shade to show that unlike the linen wraps, you don't have to use the dark lacquers to hide it.



Conclusion: I found it worked. It lasted on my nail for 4 days until it started to peel off a little at the free edge(Keep in mind I left air bubbles, this can cause lacquer not to last as long). So I used acetone and it came off right away. The big tear wasn't gone but it held my nail together and no one noticed. If you keep doing this to you're nail i'm sure it would give your nail enough time to grow so you can file that tear or split away, and it would keep weak brittle nails from breaking anymore then it is. You're nail also gets to breath under tea bags unlike fiberglass.

Comments are always appreciated
                                                                                                                Sleepy Flower

No comments:

Post a Comment